Who even are you?
Oh hey. I’m Sarah. I help researchers get funded and published by improving their writing. I work mostly with researchers in the health sciences, medicine, and population health. I'm a big believer in keeping writing clear, simple, and strategic—that's what I do with my clients. If you have a shitty first draft, I can handle the wordsmithing.
I serve scrappy, passionate, super-smart people. People who are curious about the world and who want to make it better. People who have, like, seven different jobs because they're so good that people keep asking them to do more. People who don't buy into the stuffy, hierarchical part of academia—they just like to nerd out.
tell me some facts about you…the random-er, the better
1. I've been a Grade A bookworm since childhood. Check out this photo of me as a nerdy tween walking uphill with my nose in a book:
3. I read cookbooks cover to cover, like they're novels. I also read a lot of novels. Ask me what you should read next!
4. I'm a medical marvel: I have an ultra-rare illness that has led to five brain surgeries (so far). I’ve been written up as a case report in a medical journal. For realz. (Ask me about having emergency brain surgery while on vacation in NYC. Also for realz.)
5. I'm the co-founder of a scrappy little non-profit called Basics for Health.
6. I ride my bicycle(s) every chance I get. Before I started my own business, my daily bike commute was more than 30 km! Now my commute is 0 km…sad face :(
7. I'm happiest in the woods. Camping, hiking, backcountry skiing—if it's self-propelled and among the trees, sign me up.
8. I'm an Air Force Brat. My dad was in the Canadian military and I spent most of my childhood moving across Canada and Europe. Then I got sick of moving and went to boarding school (fun fact: boarding school was less strict than living with my parents).
9. I was a huge theatre nerd in high school. Oh, and also in law school. Did I mention I'm a law school dropout? (Yep: I quit McGill Law in 2004)
10. I'm a free spirit trapped in the body of a Type-A overachiever. Like, for example, after I quit law school (free spirit), I did my graduate research degree in French (overachiever. Duh.).
BONUS FACT: I host a podcast! It has nothing to do with editing, and everything to do with figuring out what it means not to become a mother. It's called Maybe Someday. You should listen! You'll love it.
so…maybe i might wanna work with you?
Heck yeah! I want to do what I do best so that you can do what you do best.
If writing is something that frustrates the shit out of you, I can help. I can suggest where to focus your efforts when it comes to finishing a writing project. I can take your garbage first draft and do some wordsmithing so that you sound like a genius. I can pick apart what you've written and help make sure it has the best chance of getting published or funded. I can help you find ways to fit writing into your insanely overbooked schedule, so you won’t have to skip your Saturday morning yoga class to finish your f*cking paper.
I do all of these things with a lot of love and a bit of edge. If that's your style, we'll get on like a house on fire.